Vacancy for a Gardener
The Birmingham Botanical Gardens and Glasshouses are looking to appoint a full time permanent gardener. The person must be enthusiastic, keen and reliable and be able to demonstrate their horticultural competency.
The vacancy has arisen in the Horticultural Team External Areas but will involve some working in the glasshouses and watering in the glasshouses and nursery on weekends. Weekend working is by rota and will be one weekend in five for which time off in lieu is given.
The post will involve all aspects of horticulture which must be carried out to the highest standard, so that our visitors have an enjoyable, educational and safe visit. The post holder must be flexible and assist in all areas of the garden as and when necessary. Much of the work involves using machinery for which training is provided and tractor driving is essential.
The post holder will also be involved in working with apprentices and volunteers and act as an ambassador for the gardens in horticultural matters.
- Have good interpersonal and communication skills, to interact effectively with staff, volunteers and customers.
- Have the ability to work on own initiative and make decisions, but must also, be able to work as part of a team.
- Have flexibility, to ensure that horticultural operations cover is provided at all times.
- Hold a further education qualification in horticulture, an ND essential, but an HND or a Degree preferable, or the equivalent.
- Have PA 1 and PA 6 Spray certificates. This requirement is essential.
- Have a full driving licence or an equivalent from Lantra in tractor driving. This requirement is essential.
- Have a commitment to continuing professional development.
Hours are 39 per week (40 hours summer and 38 hours winter), 8.00am till 4.30pm October to end of March, and 8.00am to 4.45pm April to September.
Holidays start at 20 days per year, plus 8 public holiday allowance.
Pay will be minimum wage, as determined by age, paid by monthly credit transfer.
A contributory Group Personal Pension Scheme is offered.
A uniform is provided and must be worn.
If you are interested in applying for the above position please send your curriculum vitae and a covering letter detailing why you would like to be considered for the job to:
Senior Horticultural Supervisor (External Areas),
Birmingham Botanical Gardens and Glasshouses,
Or email your CV and covering letter to
A full job description is available on request.
The closing date for applications is Thursday 1st May 2014.